After a week of fending off white flour and sugar, the first thought that popped into my mind this morning was to get on the scale. I’m down FOUR pounds and it feels great! One more pound and it will be like i never gained anything back to begin with!
To celebrate i went to the groceries and picked up some low carb bars. I couldn’t believe how much stuff is out on the market now! The last time I went to buy low carb stuff all that was available was Atkins products. Now – at a mainstream grocery store – there is 1/4 of an aisle filled with everything from bars to cereal to bread. I just stuck with the bars. I once tried the blueberry muffin mix and just about chucked it up over kitchen sink. Luckily my friend Janice in New York runs a groovy web site, Our Lady of Weight Loss, filled with all kinds of empowering tips on weight loss. She is an artist who lost a bunch of weight by painting food, not eating it. If you have anything in common calorically with me, sign up for her newsletter – it will help!
I’m so thrilled that – gulp – I’m considering adding “exercise”.
Wait, no. That sounds REALLY crazy. I’ll just keep at it one day at a time…
But in the meantime, i’ve been thinking – if you are not on Atkins and can indulge in chocolate and cheeseckae whenever you like, here are some things you can do to get maximum pleasure:
– Bake a chocolate cake. When it is done, take it out and let it cool. Whip up a batch of instant chocolate pudding but don’t let it thicken. You have to time this just right: when the cake is cooled, poke holes in the top of it with a fork or toothpick. Pour the uncooled chocolate pudding all over the top of it. Can you imagine what it will be like once the pudding thickens? Of course I come up with this AFTER I’ve sworn off sweets, so i’ve never tried it. But I would think you could just “dig in” and not even have to add frosting. Heck, you could even use chocolate syrup instead of the pudding for a more gooey treat.
– Buy some espresso bark and break it into credit card sized-pieces. Now bake a tray of brownies. Just as you take the brownies out of the oven, lay the pieces of bark all over the top so they just melt in all sexy and cool.
OK, here’s some more:
Melt some milk or dark chocolate in a fondue pot. Set out a stack of shortbread cookies and dip to your heart’s delight. I guess you could invite a couple friends over to join in. But you get to go first!
– Buy some Ghiradelli chocolate squares and some Walkers shortbread cookies. Lay one chocolate square on top of one cookie and bite. Wink and then close your eyes and savor the creamy after-effects.
– Next time you bake a cake, squeeze some chocolate syrup in the batter, some instant pudding and chocolate chips. Bake as usual. If you think of any other chocolately stuff to add in, go for it.
– For easy chocolate mousse or yummy cake filling, make a box of instant pudding using only HALF the amount of milk
ad mix. Now add a container of Cool Whip. Mix it all together. Use it as cake frosting or spoon it into dessert dishes.
– Here’s my ATKIN’s chocolate fix (in moderation of course):
Sugar free instant chocolate pudding made with cream instead of milk!
Share your chocolate concoctions too, ok? Just because i won’t eat them doesn’t mean I don’t want to hear about them.
* All content/photos copyright, © Kathy Cano-Murillo, 2008.