I’m a few minutes away from saying “adios” to the decade that is (was?) my 30s.
It’s been an odd week, it almost feels like a full moon should be popping over the roof of my house. It’s because I’ve been in denial for a whole year about December 10, 2004. And now that I’m only minutes away from turning 40 (that feels so weird to type!) I’m ready to smile and embrace it. When I woke up this morning, I had no idea I’d be typing that!
I felt the same way when I turned 30. I was a braless hippie girl in flowy dresses, raising two kids and eating brown rice and grilled veggies with Patrick. Everyday was a Saturday and we painted our hearts out. Even though life was carefree and cool, a little voice in my heart told me I was meant to do something more with my life. I didn’t know what, but I could feel there were other levels to experience. I didn’t let that feeling linger for long. I decided to make some steps, take some risks, sacrifice some sleep and see what happens.
I’m extremely proud with what I’ve accomplished in the past 10 years. I didn’t have an inkling that I’d finish my college degree, buy a house, become a newspaper reporter and author books!! Up until a few minutes ago – literally – I was feeling like a flop because I hadn’t made a million dollars yet. But right now it just clicked that I *have* made it. It’s just in all kinds of other forms!
Who knows what the next 10 years holds? All along I’ve said I wanted to get drunk on margaritas the night of my birthday. Now I feel like I want to make a huge “to do” list and post it on the wall.
I do want to give some advice to anyone in their 20s and 30s reading this:
– Don’t wait for stuff to come to you, go after it. NOTHING falls in your lap.
– If you have a vision floating in your head, start now to make it happen. Things like that take time to sprout and grow, it won’t happen overnight. Stay on it and don’t sell yourself short. Every day you wait, is a day lost forever.
– Wash the make up off your face every night and use face cream.
– Start building a nest egg now.
– Brush up on your math skills to be ready for when your kids need help with homework.
– Keep a journal so you won’t forget what is happening in your life today.
– Don’t be afraid to try new haircolors or styles, it grows back fast!
– If you’ve ever wanted to repaint your room, go for it!
– Take a lot of pictures!
And for anyone older than me reading this, please leave me a list of advice! OK, I’m going to bed before the clock hits midnight. That way magical things can happen while I sleep and I’ll wake up a wiser, smarter person. My 40’s are gonna rock, because I’m going to make them rock.
Would it be cheesy to say that I still feel like getting drunk tomorrow night? It only takes me two drinks…
peace, respect & glitter.
See the new line of Crafty Chica products at select Michaels stores!! All content/photos copyright, © Kathy Cano-Murillo, 2008.