It takes a lot to keep this crafty chica going. And sometimes it takes more than glitter! Here are some non-crafty things that I’ve put on my smiley face list. I thought I’d share them with you!
1. Orange is the New Black. I know, I’m late to the game. My friend, Alexa, has been telling me about this Netflix show for months and this weekend I finally watched all 13 episodes while working in the art studio. It’s based on the memoir of Piper Kerman, who was sentenced to a year in prison for drug trafficking. I’m not exactly the prison series type of TV watcher, so I think that’s why I was slow at taking Alexa’s advice. Now that I’ve watched, I can’t stop thinking about the characters. What I love about this series is the storytelling of all these women’s lives and what they did to end up with Piper behind bars. The series is as funny as it is heartbreaking and emotional. Orange is the New Black can be seen on Netflix, and Season 2 begins on June 6th.
2. Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. Remember last year when Samsung sent me a Galaxy Note 3 to review? Well, now they have sent both Maya and me a Galaxy s5 phone to try out! We’ve each only had it a week, and it’s pretty fun! It’s a little smaller than the Note 3 (I like that), and is easy to set up. For most people. I was a dork and accidentally trashed the PLAY STORE, I thought it was for games, not realizing it was where you buy and download all the apps. But now I know, lol! It’s also very sensitive to touch, like it’s so happy to help you find what you need, it gets excited! Every time I pick it up, it lights up and has little bursts of animation and color. Still getting used to it, but so far so good!
3. Danay Suarez! This is a singer I discovered at Hispanicize last month. I remember walking out of a business panel, and following the sound of a girl singing. I walked into the music area, dropped my bag off my shoulder and started dancing along with everyone else. She mesmerized us with her talent!
4. Canon Rebel T5i! I finally bought the camera of my dreams! Last summer at YouTubeSpaceLA, I was the lady who shot everything on her iPhone5 and was proud of it. The powers that be sat me down and explained how important is was for me to invest in quality equipment for my business – a real camera. I chose this model and vibed on it. I entered contest after contest to try and win it. I stopped messing around and plucked down the cash. I found it on QVC for a great price, and the best part is that is also came with a case, lens, and a bunch of other accessories. WOW. What a difference. Have you noticed that my photos have been better? I love the video aspect, the touchscreen, all of it. Maya and I have been learning how to best use all of its features. My advice is that even though you should always use what you have to get things done, if you have the chance to upgrade to better equipment, go for it!
5. Vintage: A Novel by Susan Gloss. How could I not like a book where the author’s name is shiny? This is a new womens fiction book that is about a vintage clothing store and all the drama surrounding the shop owner, employees and customers. Think Friday Night Knitting Club – or no…think WAKING UP IN THE LAND OF GLITTER or MISS SCARLET’S SCHOOL OF PATTERNLESS SEWING! I listened to this book on audible while working in my studio. The actress’s voice grated on me a bit, she seemed a bit snooty, but I was able to “see” though the voice and get my own sense of the characters. They are lovable and vivid. This book really made me miss writing. I’ve made it one of my goals this year to get going on a new book, and Vintage really inspired me!
6. Natural Bliss Sweet Cream by Coffee-Mate. Backstory – I’ve been a long time fan of Coffee-Mate, and as you know, coffee! Well, the folks at Coffee-Mate contacted me and my exciting news is I’m going to design recipes for them all year! I have my standard favorite flavors, but I recently discovered Natural Bliss Sweet Cream when I was at Hispanicize last month. I came home and bought some and it’s become my perfect topper to my iced coffee! I’ll share the recipe soon! This is a very sentimental product for me because my dad LOVED Coffee-Mate, I used to make his cup every day and the world wasn’t right unless he had that splash of Coffee-Mate. His passion rolled over to me. I think he would be really excited for me about this!
7. Sofia Perfume by Sophia Vergara. A bottle was sent for me to sample. We busted that box open, sprayed it in the air and walked through the mist. “It smells like a woman!” Maya said. “A confident and sexy woman!” LOL! Maya! My favorite aspect is the gorgeous bottle. It has an emerald cut and pink tone and looks pretty on the countertop. As far as the scent, it’s floral with an undertone of vanilla.
“I have orchids and roses because those are my favorite flowers, and they’re Colombian. I wanted to bring a little bit of who I am, my ethnicity, where I’m from, and I thought it was very cool to be able to get flowers from Colombia actually into the perfume,” Sofia told WWD.
The perfume is being launched exclusively on HSN this Thursday at midnight.
Also – I finally drew the winners of the cruise swag bag giveaway – Janice Ogata and Joe Ramos! Congrats! And I contacted them both! Thank you to everyone who entered the drawing!