This whole Starbucks red cup controversy is so silly, I won’t even address it. BUT – I do see a creative opportunity! Whatever your stance, why not make your own red cup? Visit your local paint-on-pottery studio. They have oodles of mugs and cups to choose from, and not only will you have a custom and functional work of art, you will be supporting an indie business/entrepreneur!
Here’s how I made these!
Red underglaze (I used Duncan Concepts, Neon Red)
Duncan French Dimensions in red and white (you can also use Concepts in a micro squeeze bottle)
Pure Brilliance glaze to make the cups food safe
Kiln for firing
ALTERNATIVE: Visit your local craft store for bake on ceramics, all you need is your home oven!
2nd ALTERNATIVE: Use a Sharpie and draw on the Starbucks red cup!
3rd ALTERNATIVE: Check out this list for other holiday cups!
Clean off your bisque, then coat each mug with three layers of underglaze. I did one white and the other red, I did the opposite for the insides. Then use the French Dimensions to draw on your snowflakes. You can:
- Write Merry Christmas
- Paint them blue for Hanukkah
- Paint them red, green and black for Kwanzaa
- Use them to hold posada candy treats
- Write a favorite phrase
Regardless, it’s all about spreading cheer and connecting with others so we can all have a bright, happy holiday season!
Let dry completely, then sponge on three layers of Pure Brilliance.
Let dry completely. Fire at Cone 06, medium speed.
I don’t know which one I like better!
Bottom line? Instead of getting all worked up, get creative. Turn it into something positive!
- Get together with friends and/or family and have a red cup paint party.
- Paint two cups, one for you and one to give away as a random act of kindness.
- Paint one, fill with healthy snacks and give to a homeless person so they will always have a cup to use.
- Paint them and auction them off, use the money to donate to a holiday program for those in need.
OK, let’s get this season started!
3 thoughts on “Make Your Own Red Cup”
You are right, it’s so silly we shouldn’t talk about it and your solution is perfect! Everyone can create their own depending on their feelings, beliefs. I love it!
These are so adorable
I’ve never seen anything better.