Check out this mini flower pot craft – DIY patio lights! It’s fun, easy and so magical looking on your patio! These flower pot string lights are so twinkly and fun, here’s how to make them.
I love to add colorful accents to my patio, any way I can. This is one of my favorite projects from days back – mini-flowerpots for mini-lights! I now make them for friends and family and now I’ll share the process with you!
This project is featured in my book, The Crafty Chica Creates.
Supplies for Mini flower pot craft: DIY patio lights
- 1 strand of mini-lights
- mini terra cotta flowerpots (one per light)
- hot glue
- Craft paint, brush
- Fabric (optional)
- Embroidery thread (optional)
- Old, dull scissors
Terra cotta pots are porous, meaning they absorb water and other substances easily. This can affect the types of paint and glue that will work best.
Paint: Acrylic paint is often used for terra cotta pots as it adheres well, is durable, and comes in a wide variety of colors. It’s also water-based, making it easy to clean up. For a more glossy finish, you could use an acrylic enamel paint. Some people also use latex paint, but keep in mind that it might peel over time due to the porous nature of terra cotta. If you’re painting the pot for outdoor use, consider using a sealant over the paint to protect it from the elements.
Before you start painting, it can be a good idea to seal the terra cotta pot first using a sealant. This will prevent the pot from absorbing water from the paint and will help the paint adhere better. After painting, let the pot dry completely before using it.
Glue: Epoxy or a strong adhesive like Gorilla Glue tends to work well with terra cotta. These types of glues are waterproof and they dry clear, making them a good choice if you’re gluing pieces of a pot back together or if you’re attaching decorations to the pot. If you’re attaching something heavy to the pot, you may want to consider using a construction adhesive. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using these types of glues.
Remember to always clean the surface of the terra cotta before you apply paint or glue. This will help the paint or glue adhere better.
How to make it
- Open your scissors and insert a blade into the hole at the bottom of the flowerpot and scrap to make the hole big enough for the light bulb to fit through. Do this to all the flowerpots.
- Paint the flowerpots and let them dry. Use white craft glue to add fabric trim around the edges too!
While the paint is drying, open the box of string lights. Smooth them out so it will be easy to work with when you add the painted pots.
When the pots are dry, add a coat of sealer. Let dry.
- One by one, insert the mini light bulb through the bottom of the flowerpot and hot glue the base of the plastic casing of the bulb to the hole on the pot. Do not get hot glue anywhere near the bulb. Do this to all of the flowerpots and lights and let dry.
Add whatever other designs you want. Line up all of the lights so they are not tangled.
Thanks for checking out my post, I hope you like this project!