Make your own Day of the Dead Barbies! After teaching many classes last year and this year, I finally made a batch of kits to sell in my online store!
Day of the Dead Barbies first came on the market years ago, they were beautiful but very pricey. Being the crafty chica I am, I immediately figured out how to make my own version. It’s such a beautiful project to add to your Day of the Dead crafts.
These take about an afternoon to make, but you will love the process!
Dia de Los Muertos
This is a 3,000 year-old tradition from Mexico where we honor our loved ones who have passed on. The overall spirit is celebrating the cycle of life. An ofrenda is set up in the home or graveyard and lined with fresh marigolds, sugar skulls, copal and small items representing the soul who passed.
You can read more about Dia de Los Muertos here!
SUPPLIES FOR YOUR Day of the Dead Barbies
- A Barbie doll! You can check the dollar store for dolls, thrift stores or buy some $5 “water play” Barbies.
- Multi-surface craft paint.
- Fine tip liner brushes and a head pin (used in jewelry making).
- Doll dress or scrap fabrics, trims.
- Gems, small flowers.
- Wood base and a stick to create a “stand for her.”
- Water-based varnish, brush-on.
How to make Day of the Dead Barbies